Saturday, May 17, 2008

Postcards from Iceland - Part I

We are back from our trip and had a wonderful time. Special thanks to Baby Schevans for being gracious hosts and for all their kindness and hospitality!! There will be several posts with pictures of all the spectacular things we saw. We covered a great deal of the island in the time we were there.

You all know how I love spas so our last stop (I know I am doing this backwards) on the trip was the Blue Lagoon. The Blue Lagoon is a geothermal spa that holds 6 million liters of geothermal seawater and is renewed every 40 hours. The water is between 98-100 degrees and has high levels of silica. The highlight of my trip..... seeing Dr. Ruth (yes, the sex doctor) in the locker room. Once in the lagoon, you cover your face in a silica mud mask and relax (sorry, no bien photos of Todd in his mask).

On our last night in Iceland, Fiona told us that we con't leave the country without a stop to the Kaffi Reykjavik Ice Bar where the interior is kept at below zero temperature -5°C all year round. All of the interior fittings, including the glasses, are made of pure, clear ice from the glaciers of Iceland. Before you enter, you have to put on a special coat. Here we are sitting on the ice couch drinking the house drink.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These photos are great Jamie, parts 1 and 2. Looks like y'all had a good time. I especially liked the Ice Bar ones - what did you drink? A Blizzard? (no Dairy Queens there!). Enjoyed seeing little Kyra too, though she's not so little now....
Hope you're feeling the benefits of a dip in the Blue Lagoon.

Clare.